Kevin Spacey’s career going down like a house of…

Posted Monday, October 30, 2017 by RODNEY HO/rho@ajc.com on his AJC Radio & TV Talk blog

Mere hours after Anthony Rapp alleged that Kevin Spacey made unwanted sexual advances against him when he was just 14, Netflix has announced the end of “House of Cards” after the sixth season, which is still set to air in 2018.

Rapp, who stars in “Star Trek Discovery,” said the incident happened at Spacey’s NYC apartment in the mid-1980s.

“Media Rights Capital and Netflix are deeply troubled by last night’s news concerning Kevin Spacey,’ said the companies in a joint statement today. “In response to last night’s revelations, executives from both of our companies arrived in Baltimore this afternoon to meet with our cast and crew to ensure that they continue to feel safe and supported. As previously scheduled, Kevin Spacey is not working on set at this time.”

RELATED: Will the #MeToo campaign grow into a movement?

Rapp said Spacey – who was 26 at the time – drunkenly put the 14 year old on a bed to “seduce” him. “I was aware that he was trying to get with me sexually,” Rapp said of the time he and Stacey were both on Broadway.

Spacey, in a statement, said he “did not remember the encounter” but was “horrified” by what Rapp said. “If I did behave then as he describes, I owe him the sincerest apology for what would have been deeply inappropriate drunken behavior,” Spacey said.

This comes soon after the Harvey Weinstein revelations that has placed everyone in Hollywood on high alert about sexual assaults by powerful men.

“House of Cards” was a groundbreaking original series for Netflix when it debuted in 2013 and led to a cavalcade of shows, from “Orange is the New Black” to “Stranger Things” to “Narcos.”

Reader Comments 0

0 comments